New Items Added Weekly * Special Orders and Requests Accepted * Discounts Applied for Multiple Items


Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Before and After: Kitchen Table

I have always loved my kitchen table. Lately, though, I felt like it needed a good facelift. Once again, I failed to take decent before pictures for this project. I scoured my iPhoto and here's the best I came up with. (Lucky for you; you get to see my cute Little Man!):


I decided to change the whole appearance of the table by painting the legs a lovely shade of Heirloom White from Home Depot (my favorite), staining the top a rich Jacobean by Miniwax (also found at Home Depot), distressing the whole thing, glazing it, and then polyurethaning the heck out of it (nine coats, to be exact). Five days and about 28 ant bites later (I worked on it outside, obviously), it's finished and I couldn't be more please with the results.






So, my friends, for the cost of twelve cans of spray paint (the high-end stuff, no less), a can of stain, a can of polyurethane, some sandpaper, and 5 days out of my life (I'm not kidding), I acquired (Or perhaps reacquired...?) myself a new kitchen table. And I wake up in the morning, look at it, and feel like a new person. What a steal!

Nothing like being 9 months pregnant and nesting to get my act in gear! And now on to the next project... Next up on the agenda? I'm just finished re-doing a vintage baby cradle. Come back again tomorrow and it will be posted, complete with (decent) before and after pictures. That is, unless I go into labor... Which, come to think of it, wouldn't be so such a bad idea at this point!

(*Note: This post is being linked to Make it for Monday by Cottage Instincts and The Colour Challenge by Funky Junk Interiors. Check them out! You'll get tons of great decorating ideas from them.)

(*Note: This post is being linked to Saturday Steals by Archives of Our Lives. I highly recommend that you check out this blog. Camille, the host, is funny, witty, and entertaining. I start every morning by reading what she has to say. She has such a way with words... You won't be disappointed, I promise!)

SaturdayStealsPic1.png

19 comments:

  1. Hi there! First of all, LOVE your table. Looks fab, and you'll enjoy having it 'chippy' with little ones in tow....no need to worry about the kiddos ruining a perfect finish :)

    Secondly, you asked some questions in your comment on my Mi4M post. I couldn't respond because your profile is set to private. I had to do a google search to find your blog. :)

    You added the link fine, but the linky was already 'closed', so that's why it didn't show up. I keep it open from Sunday evening thru Monday evenings. Try again next week! Would love to have you share your projects. :)

    Adding buttons....in my sidebar, you'll see a box with code underneath the buttons. You need to copy and paste that code, then copy and paste it into your post BUT you need to switch from 'compose' to 'edit HTML'. When you go back to 'compose' the button will show up. If you want the button in your sidebar, just hit 'design', then 'add a gadget' and choose 'html/java script' and paste the code.

    Let me know if you have any problems. Thanks for reading my blog, glad you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful transformation and indeed a total steal! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hard work surely paid off.. It looks fabulous~! applause for aa transformation well done...

    ReplyDelete
  4. IT looks wonderful! So rich looking! Love it. Great job. BTW, don't feel bad, 9 out of 10 times my kids are in the before AND after pics too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. BEAUTIFUL before and after! I love the set in the heirloom white especially. Great little bench that goes with the set too.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful, came over from Donna's. Great job and shows what you can do with any table.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is beautiful in its' rustic state! Come link up at my place if you'd like! www.storiesofahouse.com
    Christa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! That looks just beautiful! I love that rich, dark stain. I've been wanting my husband to replace the top of our dining table with planks, and he has had his doubts, but maybe if I showed him your pictures he would change his mind. Love it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am NOT getting pregnant again to get motivated to finish home transformations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh I love it...the before eh not so much (I can say that because I have a similar set that I want to re-do also) but the after - STUNNING. Just. LOVE. it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just scored that EXACT table for free! I am now inspired :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what a great job! The table turned out beautiful. There's nothing like nesting to put the gears in motion! Good for you

    I found your link on Cottage instincts, make it for Monday.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a rich finish to the top and the distressed paint is gorgeous! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you all for your kind words! I keep trying to figure out how to respond to your comments via e-mail, but I don't know how. Any suggestions? Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You did a great job. I would have passed your table by and now I am drooling over it. Good thing the 9 coats of poly will protect it from my drool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely job on the table! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a project to take on being pregnant! It turned out BEAUTIFUL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. IT looks like a whole new dining set!!! I love it!! And Jacobean is my favorite stain too, followed by Early American! LOVE LOVE LOVE your table and chairs!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! I just saw this on Remodelaholic{sp?}, I couldnt believe my eyes when you said you were nine months pregnant and redoing your furniture! Lovely job, and I assume by now you have a lovely little one too!

    ReplyDelete

Google Ads